Entries will be selected in a process similar to that undertaken in previous years in that a series of questions will be posed to each entry and the responses recorded. The responses will then be voted on by an audience of participants at the University of Exeter, with the 4 top-ranked selected for entry to the main contest.
Update: Entries will be tested on a Core i7 PC with 6GB RAM running Windows 7. Please note that the machines used for the contest itself (if not provided by entrants) may be of lower specification but will use the same OS.
The selection process for entries will operate as follows:
- Each entry will be tested against a number of questions using the Loebner Protocol by an automated system that ensures each entry is tested in the same fashion. The questions themselves will be similar in nature to those used last year which are shown below.
- The results for each question will be collated onto a presentation slide showing the question and answers from all entries presented in a random order.
- An audience consisting of staff and students at the University of Exeter will be asked to vote for the most human-like of the responses for each question using audience participation technology.
- The top-4 rated entries will be selected for the Loebner Prize in October based on the summation of votes for all entries across all questions. In the unlikely event of a tie for the last place, the organiser will have the final decision.
Last Year's Questions:
- My name is Bill. What is your name?
- Which is larger, a pineapple or a pine tree?
- What is a calendar?
- What is my name?
- John is taller than Mary and Mary is taller than Sue. Who is shorter, John or Sue?
- What day of the week is it?
- What will be tomorrow's date?
- My friend Bob likes to play tennis. What game does Bob like to play?
- Are you a human or a computer?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters?
- What number comes after twelve?
- The ball was hit by Bill. What did Bill hit?
- Who hit the ball?
- What time do you go to be at night?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is the name of my friend who likes to play tennis?
- What would I do with a knife?
- How many letters are in the alphabet?
- Have you read a good book lately?
- What time is it?
- What's your favorite color?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?